- About Us
- Prospective Students
- Undergraduate Studies
- Graduate Studies
- News & Events
Marianna Kontopoulou, Ph.D., P.Eng.
Tel: (613) 533-3079
Fax: (613) 533-6637
Office: Dupuis Hall 207
Dipl. Eng. Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece
M. Eng. McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario
Ph.D. McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario
- Polymer Processing and Rheology
- Polymer Blends
- Thermoplastic Olefin Blends (TPOs)
- Polyolefin-Based Nanocomposites
- Conductive polymer composites
- Biopolymer-based blends and composites
The polymer processing and rheology group employs blending, compounding and composite technologies to improve the performance of polyolefins and biopolymers and create new and industrially useful materials. This is achieved through appropriate selection of blend components, processing conditions and tight control of morphology. Of particular interest is the effect of rheology, thermal properties and chemical composition on the processability and final properties of polymers. Examples of industrially relevant applications include blends for packaging, hot melt adhesives, automotive applications and foams.
Research projects undertaken to date include blends containing metallocene-catalyzed polyolefins; thermoplastic olefin blends (TPOs) and thermoplastic vulcanizates (TPVs); polyolefin nanocomposites; biopolymer-based blends and composites; thermoplastic elastomers; polymer joining techniques, such as vibration and laser welding; powder processing technologies, such as rotational molding; electrically conductive polymer composites; and rheological properties of fluids in biomedical applications. For more details on current research projects, please click here.
- Rotational and capillary rheometers for rheological characterization of polymer melts.
- Polymer processing equipment, including a ZSK-18 mm twin-screw extruder, DSM micro-compounder, Haake Polylab batch mixer\single screw extruder, injection molding equipment
- Testing facilities of the Polymer Characterization Lab, including DSC, Advanced Polymer Analyzer, TGA, Mechanical Property Characterization
- Linkam optical shearing system, including hot stage and microscope.
NSERC (Discovery, Discovery Accelerator Supplement, CRD, Strategic), Ontario Centres of Excellence (OCE), Canadian Foundation of Innovation (CFI), Ontario Innovation Trust, E.I. DuPont Canada, MITACS, Ontario Research Fund (ORF).
Recipient of the 2010 Morand Lambla award of the Polymer Processing Society
Nomineed for the 2005 Frank Knox award and the 2011 Alumni Awards for excellence in teaching