Accelerated Master's Program

Queen's Chemical Engineering student in the lab

Want to get a head start on your Master's?

The Accelerated Master's Degree program allows strong students in the Chemical Engineering program to begin work towards a Master's degree while completing their undergraduate degree. By working on a research project that will become their master's thesis during the summers after third and fourth years, the students can graduate with a full thesis-based master's degree in 12-16 months after finishing their Bachelor's degree. This saves approximately a year of time compared to students enrolled in the standard master's program. Students also get to work on larger research projects, which would not normally be offered to undergraduate students.

If you have questions, please contact our Graduate Studies Coordinator:

Dr. Aris Docoslis
Tel: 613-533-6949
Office: Dupuis Hall, Room 208

How to Apply


When do I apply?

• Chemical Engineering students apply for Accelerated Master's Degree in Applied Science (MASc) during fall term of 3rd year.

What are the academic requirements?

• Students must have first class grades (GPA of 3.7 or higher) and complete an application form.

How long does the program take to complete?

• Students accepted to the program will complete their BSc degree after 4 years (with the rest of their class cohort) and complete MASc degree 12-16 months  later.

Which courses am I required to take?

• During their 4th year in the BASc/MASc program, students would take as electives a combination of graduate courses (800-level) and/or graduate course modules (900 -level) for up to 6.0 credits toward the requisite 12.0 credits needed tof the MASc degree. To be allowed to continue as graduate students in the combined BASc/MASc program, students must have achieved a minimum final graded of B- in each graduate course taken during their 4th year.

When do I start research work?

• Students must complete a research project in their 4th year of study: either CHEE 408 (CHE2), CHEE 421 (CHE1) or ENCH 417 (EngChem students). Students taking MINE 424 as option core instead of CHEE 408 or CHEE 421 will also be eligible for admission to the program, provided that they are supervised or co-supervised by a faculty member who is affiliated (appointed or cross-appointed) with the department of Chemical Engineering. During the 4th year projects, students may make research progress on their MASc degree. To be allowed to continue as a graduate student in the combined BASc/MASc program a minimum final grade of a B+ in their undergraduate research project.

Can a MASc student be promoted to the PHd program?

• Yes, just like any 'regular' MASc student, by applying during the fifth year of studies. Students can continue on to a PhD program if they have a first-class average, the supervisor supports the transfer, and they successfully pass a promotion mini-defense.

After entering the program, can you decide to just complete your Bachelors and opt out of the Master's?

• Either the student or supervisor can choose not to pursue the accelerated MASc degree after the first summer. The student would then revert to the normal CHEE program, take 455 and the two tech electives, and graduate as normal. If the student has already taken CHEE 456/457 and the graduate course, he or she can still finish the BSc requirements and are not forced to complete the MASc degree.