Information & Advice

The Department of Chemical Engineering strives to ensure all students have easy access to information pertaining to their studies. We have compiled a list of resources to help you quickly and easily find the information you need. If these links don't provide you with the details you're looking for, please contact the Graduate Program Assistant.

Click here for Central Resources and Services for Students and their Supervisors, created by the School of Graduate Studies.

The Guide to Graduate Studies, developed by the Department of Chemical Engineering, click here.

2021 Orientation Powerpoint Presentations:

General Presentation (Aris Docoslis) - Click here

Program Assistant (Laurie Phillips) - Click here


Academic Qualifications for Admission

In order to be considered for admission to a graduate degree program, you must hold the minimum qualifications as listed below.

Doctoral Program

To be considered for admission to a doctoral program, you must possess a Master's Degree.

Master's Program

To be considered for admission to a master's program, you must possess first class standing in one of the following degrees awarded by a recognized university:

  • Honours Bachelor Degree in Arts or Science
  • Bachelor Degree in Applied Science or Law
  • Degree of Doctor of Medicine
  • or equivalent
Admission Requirements

The Chemical Engineering Department requires a B+ average or equivalent for admission to all graduate programs.

Comprehension of the English Language for International Applicants

English is the language of instruction and communication at Queen's (except within the language departments). Proficiency in English is, therefore, a prerequisite for admission. Those applicants whose native languages do not include English will be required to obtain satisfactory standing in an English Language Proficiency Test as part of the application process and before final acceptance is granted.

Any applicant who has recently studied for at least one complete year at a university where English is the official language of instruction may be exempt from the English Language Proficiency Test. An applicant requesting a waiver of the English Language Proficiency Test for this reason should do so in writing and submit it with the application. The Registrar of the School of Graduate Studies, in consultation with the department, will make determinations in these cases. It should be noted that in order to maintain a high academic standard, very few waivers are granted. Therefore, it is recommended that all applicants for whom English is not their first language submit an English Language Proficiency Test with their application.

The following English Language Proficiency Tests are accepted by the School of Graduate Studies and Research:

TOEFL Test of English as a Foreign Language
MELAB Michigan English Language Assessment Battery
IELTS International English Language Testing System

The School of Graduate Studies at Queen's University requires the following minimum scores:

TOEFL Internet-based Test (TOEFL iBT):

Writing Test: 24 (out of 30);
Speaking Test: 22 (out of 30);
Reading Test: 22(out of 30);
Listening Test: 20 (out of 30);
Overall minimum score: 88 (out of 120).

Applicants must have the minimum score in each test, as well as the minimum overall score.

TOEFL Paper based and Computer Based Tests:

Applicants must meet the minimum score requirements of the department to which they wish to apply. These minimum scores are listed on the School of Graduate Studies website

IELTS: 7 (academic module)


The following forms are to be reviewed and signed by the Head's Delegate and Supervisor(s) following the thesis defense for your respective program:

Congratulations! You are a Chemical Engineering graduate student and now you want to know all the details of how to complete your degree. There are several steps to completion but the Graduate Program Assistant is there to ensure you meet the requirements of your degree program. Click on a link below to download a PDF summary of your program, read it and if something doesn't make sense, email the Graduate Program Assistant with your question(s).

The Department of Chemical Engineering endeavours, as far as possible, to ensure that every full-time graduate student engaged in research has adequate financial support during his or her graduate program. This support may come from several sources, either individually or in combination: National or Provincial scholarships, Queen's University scholarships and awards, research assistantships provided by faculty researchers and Departmental teaching assistantships. The level of financial support consequently varies among graduate students in the Department, with a guaranteed minimum level of $25,000 (Masters and PhD) currently (subject to change). As part of the minimum funding package, you may serve as a Teaching Assistant for at least one term per year. When necessary, serving as a Teaching Assistant for a second term will result in an increase in your funding package equivalent to the full value of the second TAship. Queen's internal awards are part of the minimum funding package and will not result in an increased funding level, whereas external scholarships may result in a significant top-up of funding. For current top-up amounts, please contact the Graduate Assistant at

In the case of qualified applicants to the M.Eng. program, the current Departmental policy is to admit such applicants with no financial support being offered by the University or the Department. The M.Eng. program is a one-year program commencing only in September of each year. Students may enroll in CHEE 898, the M.Eng. Project Course, which is equivalent to taking two courses and requires the student to work with the Graduate Coordinator to identify a supervisor for their project.


This budget has been drawn up to assist international graduate students in calculating the financial resources required to attend Queen's University. Although the figures listed below are only estimates of basic living expenses, it is recommended that any student who accepts an offer of admission to a graduate program at Queen's University has available at least the minimum level of funding recommended. These figures are for a single student for one year.

Tuition and Ancillary Fees

Tuition Fees
See cost of living estimations here

University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) (premium equals annual coverage for one person). UHIP medical insurance is mandatory for all international students during their period of study at Queen's. Changes to government policy have excluded international students as well as foreign workers and their dependants from the provincial health care plan. You will be required to purchase the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) in order to register. For Medical Health Coverage and the premium details please see

Students Bringing Families

Students who bring families should use this budget and add approximately $5000.00 for a spouse or other first dependant plus $1,000.00 for each additional dependant.
You will be required to purchase health coverage for all accompanying dependants (see the link below for more information). You must enroll your dependants in UHIP within 30 days of their arrival in Canada to avoid paying a $500 penalty plus fees retroactive to their arrival in Canada. If their arrival date cannot be proven, the fee will be retroactive to your arrival date in Canada.

There are tuition fees for children attending Ontario Schools at any level. Children who will be attending school in Canada are required to possess a Study Permit form prior to attending classes. You should advise the Immigration Officer of this fact when making application for your visa and Study Permit.

Tuition and Associated Fees Payment

Arrangements may be made by the student with the Office of the University Registrar to pay fees on a monthly basis, using any banking institution in Canada, via the debit memo plan. More details and the required form can be found by following the link below. Arrangements to pay via this method must be made before September 1st. Line of credit, credit card, cheques and U.S. accounts are not permitted.

If you wish to transfer funds to cover tuition and associated fees before leaving home, there are three options:

Bank Wire Transfers

Funds may be electronically transferred to Queen's University, but be advised that both the home bank and the receiving bank may impose additional handling charges. The information required to wire funds.

Bank of Montreal - Main Branch
Kingston, Ontario
Bank Number 001
Transit Number 00162
Account number 0000-085

NOTE. Ensure that your name and student number is included in the wire transfer for proper processing of your payment.


This method of payment is for students living outside of Canada. Cheques, money orders or bank drafts may be mailed to:

Queen's University
Office of the University Registrar - Services and Records
Kingston, Ontario
K7L 3N6
Attention: Fees

NOTE: The student name and student number must be clearly written on the front of the payment. Please allow extra time for mailing and processing when using this method of payment.

Western Union

Go to Western Union's website and follow the instructions to make a payment (ask for the special Queen's rate). You will need the following information to complete the required form:

Company Name: Queen's University,


Account Number: Is your student number

When mailing payments from United States and/or overseas, you will need to allow approximately 2 to 3 weeks extra time for mailing. To avoid Registration Administration Fees, payments must reach Queen's University, Office of the University Registrar, no later than September 1st. Do not post-date your cheque. Items returned by your Bank, for any reason, will be liable for a $20.00 returned item charge.

Medical Health Coverage for International Students

Queen's is participating in a province-wide private insurance plan (University Health Insurance Plan -- UHIP) with Sun Life Assurance as the carrier. UHIP is mandatory for all international students registered at Queen's University. This plan provides a broad coverage for hospital and physician services, including pregnancies, and is very similar, although not identical, to OHIP, the provincial health coverage for Ontario citizens.

The rate for a twelve-month period from September 1 to August 31 can be found at here.

There are a few graduate students whose personal medical heath coverage may be covered by scholarships, but those scholarships may not provide health coverage for their dependants.

Students will be required to participate in this plan in order to register. Students beginning a program in September 2015 must enroll for the entire 12-month period.

Payment for Insurance:

Once you enroll in the UHIP plan at the appropriate rate, depending on whether you come by yourself or with your partner or with your partner and children, this amount will be added to your fees account. You will pay your health insurance in the same way that you pay your tuition fees.

Insurance for Your Dependants:

Your dependants also need to be covered by health insurance and must obtain UHIP coverage within 30 days of their arrival in Canada. Health care is very expensive in Ontario for non-Ontario residents without insurance. The Queen's plan offers competitive rates; there is no disqualification due to any pre-existing condition.

If your dependants arrive after you, you can change your status from "single coverage" to the two or three person plus rate, provided that you do so within 30 days of their arrival in Canada. The new charges would be added to your fees account and paid in the same way that you pay your fees. All dependants who are enrolled after the initial 30-day enrolment period will be assessed a $500 late application fee, plus all retroactive premiums calculated from the student's effective date of coverage or the applicant's arrival date in Canada, whichever can be proven. You must also extend your dependants' UHIP coverage within 30 days of its expiry date.

When do you enroll?

You should go to the Queen's University International Centre (QUIC) in the John Deutsch University Centre as soon as possible after you arrive at Queen's. You will be able to enroll yourself and your dependants immediately and the premium charges will be added to your fees account. Your UHIP will begin upon your arrival in Canada, and if you are arriving in a province other than Ontario, you must enroll before you arrive. Coverage can begin up to 20 days before your term of study starts. Please note the coverage benefit outside Canada is minimal.

You must be enrolled and present evidence of that enrolment at the time of registration.

Other Insurance:

As noted above, your UHIP coverage will begin from your arrival date in Canada. If you are to be in Canada for some time prior to arriving at Queen's (i.e. more than two or three days), you must contact the QUIC to begin your UHIP coverage from that date, and to allow the insurance company to be informed about your arrival. Please ensure that you have some form of medical insurance to cover you while in transit to Canada.

Additional Information:

You will find more about these and other services of the Queen's University International Centre at


It is the understanding of Queen's University that any or all of the following documents may be required of international students by the Canadian Immigration authorities both when applying for a Study Permit and when passing through a port of entry into Canada:

1. A valid passport, a Canadian entry visa (if required) and permission to obtain a Study Permit. The Visa and permission to obtain a Study Permit must be obtained from a Canadian Embassy or Consulate before coming to Canada. The Study Permit is issued at the port of entry when you arrive in Canada. Note that U.S. citizens have an alternative option. Please consult one of the International Student Advisors at: for more information.

2. An official letter of acceptance from Queen's University stating that you have been accepted for admission and naming the program of study.

3. Evidence that you have sufficient funds to pay tuition fees, return transportation and to maintain yourself and any accompanying dependants during the period for which you are admitted to Canada as a student. As evidence you may be required by immigration to present any one of the following documents:

  • a) A declaration from your parent or guardian confirming that he or she will provide sufficient funds to cover all educational costs including tuition, maintenance and transportation;
  • b) Written assurance from a bank that either you or your parent or guardian has sufficient funds to accept this obligation;
  • c) Written assurance from foreign exchange control (if applicable) that the funds will be available for use in Canada;
  • d) A CIDA card if you are studying under the sponsorship of the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA);
  • e) Copies of any letters offering scholarships or any other form of support from Queen's University or any other organization or government.

NOTE: International Students and their spouses are permitted to work in Canada subject to various conditions. You may not, however, rely on the potential for employment as evidence of sufficient funds for support.
You may also be required to undergo and pass a medical examination. You will be given instructions about this by a Canadian Immigration officer when you apply for a Study Permit.

Your Study Permit serves as an employment authorization for work as a Teaching or Research Assistant. Funds earned in Canada are taxed and international students are not automatically exempted. Please check with Financial Services at Queen's, once you accept a teaching or research assistantship, for full taxation details. Queen's international student advisors will assist you in completing your tax return.

The Queen's University International Centre (QUIC) was established to welcome and assist international students studying at Queen's. It also serves to support members of the Queen's Community interested in research, work and other opportunities abroad. You are encouraged to contact the Centre before coming to Kingston or to visit it soon after arriving as many pre-arrival and orientation services are provided. Activities are also offered throughout the year for all members of the Queen's Community. The QUIC is on the first floor of the John Deutsch University Centre, located at the corner of Union Street and University Avenue.

Queen's University International Centre (QUIC), John Deutsch University Centre
Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario K7L 3N6

Phone: 613-533-2604
Fax: 613-533-3159
Office hours: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday.

QUIC Contacts

If you have questions about being or becoming an International Student, visit: or email:

If you have questions regarding housing, visit:

Teaching Assistantships

Graduate students may be required to perform one Teaching Assistantship (TAship) per year as part of their funding package and subject to availability as determined by their supervisor. The number of assignments and/or the number of hours per assignment may be subject to change pending the confirmation of course enrollments and the needs of the undergraduate program. In the case of two TAships, the student receives an additional $3,076.56 during the term in which they hold the second assignment (usually the Winter term).

Current TA Assignments:

Previous TA Assignments:

Top 10 Frequently Asked Questions

  1. How do I apply for graduate studies?

    i) Fill out the application by following this link:
    ii) Send original, official transcripts to the School of Graduate Studies (SGS)
    iii) Indicate accurate email addresses for your referees, they will be contacted and asked to supply an electronic reference
    iv) Submit payment by credit card on-line
    v) Contact professors who work in your area of interest to increase your chance of receiving an offer

  2. What are the English requirements for international students?

    If English is not your first language:
    i) Go to
    ii) Submit an official copy of one of the acceptable English tests to the SGS

    Exemptions (check with the SGS to ensure you qualify for an exemption):
    i) If you have studied at an English-speaking university in the last year, you are exempt from providing an English test
    ii) If you are from a country where the education system is English but the country's official language is not, you are exempt from providing an English test
    iii) Submit a letter from the institution stating that the program was delivered in English

  3. Is there financial support for graduate students?

    The Department of Chemical Engineering endeavours, as far as possible, to ensure that every full-time graduate student engaged in research has adequate financial support during his or her graduate program. This support may come from several sources, either individually or in combination: National or Provincial scholarships, Queen's University scholarships and awards, research assistantships provided by research supervisors and Departmental teaching assistantships. The level of financial support consequently varies among graduate students in the Department, with a guaranteed minimum level of $25,000 for both Masters and PhD (current amount, subject to change). As part of the minimum funding package, you are expected to serve as a Teaching Assistant for at least one term per year. When necessary, serving as a Teaching Assistant for a second term (competitive) will increase the funding level by $1,415 during the Winter term only. Queen's internal awards are part of the minimum funding package and will not result in an increased funding level, whereas external scholarships may result in a significant top-up of funding.

    Cost of living information can be found at Student Awards

  4. The documents required are dependent on the personal history you indicate on your application.
    Generally you need:
    i) Official, sealed transcripts from all educational institutions (no photocopies or certified copies are acceptable)
    ii) Two academic references (your referees will be sent an email with the link to fill out their reference)
    iii) If English Proficiency Testing is required, an official report from the testing agency
    iv) If you are in the process of completing an undergraduate or Master's degree when you apply, you must provide a final copy of your transcript indicating that the degree has been granted before you can start your studies with us.
    A GRE is not required or considered.

  5. A non-refundable application fee (currently $105 CDN) is due at the end of your application. You must be able to pay the fee on-line with a Visa or MasterCard number. If you are unable to provide a credit card number, then you must request a paper application be mailed to you. Please email Graduate Program Assistant to request a paper application.

  6. As long as you have the agreement of your potential supervisor you can defer your offer of acceptance within the academic cycle to which you have applied. Academic cycles begin in September and end in August. If you wish to defer for a full year you will need to fill out a new application, request up-to-date reference letters and pay the application fee again. You can request that your supporting documents be transferred to the new application by making an email request to

  7. The Department of Chemical Engineering accepts MASc and PhD students starting in September, January and May of each academic cycle. However the best opportunity to begin your studies is often in September. When you apply for graduate studies, there is a drop down box where you can choose one of these three entry dates.

  8. Can I get help with housing?

    Housing for graduate students at Queen's

    International students should also see the International Housing Office for more information.

    One aspect of the "broader learning environment" that characterizes a Queen's education is the residential nature of the campus. Queen's University Residences foster community spirit and provide students with a rich and vibrant community where they interact and explore exciting opportunities available on campus. As a grad student, you can be just steps away from your lab or the library.

    Three residence locations exist on campus for graduate students. All rooms are fully furnished.

    Graduate Residence

    Located at the John Deutsch University Centre (JDUC) in the middle of campus and close to many amenities, the Graduate Residence houses approximately 90 men and women in a co-ed environment. All rooms are singles and include private bathrooms.

    Harkness International Hall

    Located one block north of campus on Earl Street, Harkness offers three floors of single rooms with common living rooms and kitchens for every 12 students. Washrooms are communal. This residence is home to newly-arrived international students and internationally-minded Canadian students.
    Jean Royce Hall

    Located 3 kilometers from the centre of campus at Union Street and Sir John A. Macdonald Boulevard, Jean Royce Hall houses graduate and professional students in single rooms with shared washrooms. Jean Royce features a social centre, the Faculty of Education library and a gymnasium. 
    Off-Campus Housing

    If you prefer to live off-campus, there are many options to consider. The Apartment and Housing Service manages the University-owned rental units, including two apartment complexes located at West Campus (September leases):

    John Orr Tower

    This complex has 123, one-bedroom apartments, each with a balcony and mainly populated by single students and student couples.

    An Clachan

    This complex has 250, spacious one, two and a limited number of three-bedroom apartments. First priority is given to student couples. The two-bedroom units are suitable for couples with children. The buildings surround a spacious courtyard and playground.

    Queen's also owns and manages a number of properties located near campus, with May to September leases. Visit Community Housing for more info. 

    Special Considerations

    If you have special needs where accommodation or building adaptation may be required, Queen's Residences will meet your needs to the best of its ability. These needs may include mobility restrictions, blindness or low vision, hearing limitations, psychiatric conditions, chronic illness, learning disabilities, religious practices, sexual orientation concerns. Fill out the Special Considerations section of the Residence Application Form.

  9. There are several orientation sessions that are either mandatory or extremely useful for new graduate students. The School of Graduate Studies expects final registration to be completed during the first week of September. During this week, one day is devoted to Chemical Engineering Orientation and Departmental TA training. Additionally, you are required to take WHMIS training before entering the laboratories and register to take a TA training session before you begin your Teaching Assistantship. The Graduate Program Assistant will contact all new students to inform them of any mandatory sessions during this time.

  10. Your application will be circulated to all full-time Faculty Members in our department. There may be a Faculty Member with an open graduate position who is willing to accept you; however, it will increase your chances of being made an offer if you contact potential supervisors who work in your area of interest.

    Go to Engineering Research Gallery to review each professor's research interests.

    Go to Areas of Research to explore the main areas of research offered in Chemical Engineering and to learn about our centers for research.

  • Academic Change Form (Form-fillable PDF); print it out for signatures before submitting it to the Graduate Program Assistant
  • Master's Thesis Defence Form (PDF); final copy to be completed by the Graduate Program Assistant
  • PhD Comprehensive Exam Form (PDF working copy); final copy to be completed by the Graduate Program Assistant
  • PhD Comprehensive Exam Guide (PDF); handed out in order to prepare for the Comprehensive Examination
  • PhD Supervisory Committee Report (PDF) ; completed annually in preparation for meetings with supervisory committee
  • PhD Progress Report (PDF); completed annually between the student and supervisor; final copy to Graduate Program Assistant
  • PhD Thesis Defence Form (PDF working copy); final copy to be completed by the Graduate Program Assistant
  • Travel Award Instructions (PDF)